16.1.10

Free Write essay by Cody Davis


If when I was walking, almost to my dorm, they stopped and asked what took me so long,
 I would respond, "I've been thinking."

"I've been thinking about how when I entered the party I was greeted with calls of endearment. I've been thinking about the one beer I had that lasted me the entire span of presence in the house. I've been thinking about how I was told that 'you're not around so much anymore,' and then denied a hand shake. I've been thinking about the conversations on the back porch centralized about 'how much weed I smoke' and 'I'm so high right now.' I've been thinking about how I left with a group to go to Jimmy John's, even though I wasn't hungry, without announcing my departure. "

"I've been thinking about the awkward conversation that was had in the car. I've been thinking about the employee at JJ's who is in my Beat class. I've been thinking about the sub I ordered, even though I wasn't hungry. I've been thinking about the lemonade I used to wash the one beer taste down my throat. I've been thinking about the table being too full for me to sit down. I've been thinking about saying goodbye, and walking out."

"I've been thinking about the man that walked past me like Mr. Hyde. I've been thinking about the girl that walked past me; I know her from somewhere. I've been thinking about the people screaming about marijuana in the street. I've been thinking about the Beats, and that no matter what I've done, what I will do, or how much I aspire, I will never be a Beat or anything close to one."

"I've been thinking about what I would say to the bitchy redhead on night staff desk duty. I imagine her saying, 'they deliver Jimmy John's, you know,' and I would say something along the line of, 'fuck you, bitch,' or, 'mind your own fucking business.'"

"I've been thinking about the sandwich that lays on my desk. It is not what I ordered, but I'm not really that hungry anyways."

I would say that. 

But I wouldn't.

I'd say, "I've been thinking about what a wonderful time I had before I left for the party. I've been thinking about what it will be like to live in England. I've been thinking about words, and their connotation. I've been thinking about how much more I enjoy reading than watching television. I've been thinking about what I will say the moment I wake up."







0 chatty Kathys: